If you want to improve your health and well-being, why not try something natural? In such a case, the essential oil is your best bet. This pale yellow to yellow-green liquid has a woody, sweet, and somewhat bitter scent and is distilled from juniper berries. Not only that, but there is evidence that juniper berries essential oil may aid in various health conditions, including the gastrointestinal, nervous system, sleep, and respiratory disorders.
Why hold off? The advantages of using juniper oil may be enjoyed immediately. We have personally used and taken consumer reviews of this product and found positive results.
What Is Juniper Berry Essential Oil?
Essential oil from juniper is a subgroup of aromatic oil (Juniperus communis). Woody, sweet, and somewhat bitter in scent, this oil is a pale yellow to yellow-green. Aromatherapists often utilize the essential oil of juniper because of its potential health advantages.
People who suffer from gastrointestinal issues, stress, anxiety, or sleeplessness may find relief with this remedy. It may also treat bronchitis, sinusitis, and other respiratory problems.
Origin And Cultivation of Juniper Berry
The berries of the juniper plant (Juniperus communis) are used to make juniper oil. Juniper is a coniferous tree or shrub that grows naturally in Europe, Asia, and North America. The juniper tree is an adaptable species that thrive in a wide range of soil and climatic conditions.
They are grown for their visually appealing needle-like leaves and tiny berry-like cones, from which berry essential oil is extracted. Juniper trees are prevalent in several industries. When the berries are fully mature and have developed their total concentration of essential oils, they are picked in the autumn.
Standard methods for extracting the oil from juniper utilize steam distillation, which entails heating the berries to generate steam and then collecting the volatile oils released into the vapor. The essential oil is produced when this occurs, which is subsequently gathered and refined to eliminate any remaining pollutants.
Nutritional Value of Juniper Berry
Essential oil from juniper berries is not a food supplement and should not be used as such. It is an aromatic oil that is more often than not used for its fragrance and possible health advantages than for its nutritional value. The berries of the juniper plant (Juniperus communis) are crushed and distilled into oil.
Some of the abundant nutrients and vitamins in berries are potassium, magnesium, and zinc. However, the essential oil does not include the berries’ nutritional value since the oil is distilled from the plant material, a procedure that destroys most of the plant’s nutrients.
How is Juniper Berry Oil Made?
To make Juniper Oil, you need to follow the easy steps that are given below-
1. Put the juniper berries through a crushing process to begin. In addition to using a mortar and pestle, you may also use a ziplock bag and a rolling pin to get the same effect.
2. Crush the berries and put them in a clean glass jar with the oil of your preference.
3. Then seal the jar but make sure you have given a good mix with everything together.
4. Keep the mixture in the dark, cold area for two to four weeks, stirring it occasionally.
5. When the combination has steeped for two to four weeks, strain it through cheesecloth or a coffee filter to eliminate the berries.
6. Store the completed oil in a firmly sealed dark glass container. It is essential to remember that the container must not be in sunlight but rather in a relaxed and dark place.
Types of Juniper Oil
Different essential oils have different chemical make-ups and aromas because of the kind of juniper plant used to make the oil, the growth circumstances, and the distillation process.
Essential oils from juniper come in a variety of forms. Some of them are mentioned below-
- Juniperus communis: The most common kind of berry oil comes from the berries of the juniper plant and is called Juniperus communis (Juniperus communis) and often used in aromatherapy and cosmetics because of its woody-sweet-slightly-bitter fragrance.
- Juniperus oxycedrus: The cade juniper (Juniperus oxycedrus) is a species of juniper that grows naturally in the Mediterranean area, and its berries are the source of the essential oil known as juniper oil. Perfume and soap manufacturers often use it due to its intense, spicy, and somewhat medicinal aroma.
Essential Features of Juniper Berry
|Common Method of Extraction
|Plant Part Typically Used
|Greenish-yellow to pale yellow
|Strength of Initial Aroma
|Mild – Medium
|Sweet, crisp, fresh, woody, piney,
|Alpha-pinene, beta-pinene, limonene, beta-myrcene, sabinene
Incredible Benefits Of Juniper Berry Essential Oil
It is a fantastic oil that helps in the skin, hair, and immunity system, preventing diseases. In addition, it helps to fight against rheumatic diseases and eliminate cellulite. It also aids in urination and, most importantly, works as a natural astringent.
1. Relieve bloating
The berries’ diuretic properties aid the body in eliminating accumulated fluid in the urinary tract and the bladder. As a result, this may help relieve bloating. Cranberries, fennel, and dandelion are all foods with antibacterial and diuretic properties, and eating them together may increase their effectiveness.
2. Skin healing and protection
Natural antibacterial properties make juniper berries essential oil a popular remedy for skin irritations (like rash or eczema) and infections. Because of its antiseptic properties, juniper oil is often used as a home treatment for acne. It is trendy among those who suffer from hair and scalp issues like dandruff.
3. Improve digestion
Adding juniper to your diet may improve your digestion and nutritional absorption. It’s “bitter,” which is why. Bitter herbs are used to stimulate digestion. However, this has yet to undergo extensive human testing. Nevertheless, at least one animal research supports this theory, showing that feeding cows garlic and berry essential oils dramatically improved their digestion.
4. Relaxation & sleep improvement
The fragrance of juniper berries gives emotional support and minimizes physical and mental indicators of stress. Some sources believe that juniper is one of the most effective essential oils for coping with inner trauma and anguish and is thus helpful in relieving anxiety.
This is because juniper may favor relaxation responses in the brain. Researchers tried a fragrance made from juniper essential oil, sandalwood, rose, and orris that helped reduce drug dosage.
5. Gastric Relief
Traditional remedies for heartburn and acid reflux include berry essential oil. It has been shown that massaging the stomach, abdomen, and chest with 1–2 drops of juniper berry oil mixed with coconut oil can help relieve indigestion symptoms, including acid reflux. Before taking it, you should talk to your natural healthcare practitioner.
6. Antiseptic properties
Essential oil from the juniper has antiseptic and antibacterial properties, making it a potential solution for various uses. It has antibacterial qualities that destroy germs, allowing it to be a cure for minor illnesses. Antibiotic-resistant bacteria and fungi might be defeated, according to some research. The essential oil from juniper has a potent antifungal effect against candida infection.
7. Reliable antioxidant
Antioxidants included in juniper oil have been linked to various health benefits, including the slowing of age-related decline (such as the development of skin conditions) and the prevention of illness. Experiments on animals have shown that this oil boosts three crucial antioxidants: superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase, and glutathione peroxidase.
There are significant health advantages to all three. Diseases like cancer and cardiovascular disease may be avoided or progressed concerning glutathione peroxidase. It might also explain why the essential oil inhibited the growth of several leukemia cells in the lab.
8. Cellulite reduction
There is also evidence that juniper oil may help reduce cellulite. Alpha-pinene, sabinene, and juniperene are active components that may help diminish cellulite’s visual impact. Mix grapefruit cellulite lotion with 100 percent therapeutic-grade berry oil for even more cellulite reduction.
9. Stabilize blood pressure
Given its antioxidant properties, juniper berries essential oil might be a proper all-natural remedy for hypertension. Diffusing heart-healthy essential oils like juniper may help keep hypertension under control, along with modifications to your diet and exercise routine. The risk of heart disease and other health problems increases if it is not managed correctly.
How can it be used?
This incredible essential oil can be beneficial for various uses. Some of them are mentioned below-
- When to Inhale it: To help relieve stress, add one to two drops of essential oil in the palm of your hand and massage your hands together. Put your hands over your nose and mouth and take a few deep breaths to relax. The significant olfactory advantages of juniper berry oil include a relaxing, centering impact that is excellent for a hectic day.
- When to Apply it: The essential oil from the juniper berry is widely used to treat skin problems and even the complexion. One drop of Juniper oil applied to the skin each morning can help maintain a bright and healthy complexion. Using this oil will give your skin a revitalized appearance that you’ll like.
- When to Massage it: A massage infused with a combination of essential oils from Juniper Berry and Coconut Oil is a fantastic way to relax and detoxify the body. The oil from juniper berries has potent skin-cleansing properties when used topically. When added to massage oil, the relaxing, earthy scent of juniper berries helps to create the perfect atmosphere for relaxation.
- When to Sprinkle it: It’s easy to make a cleaning spray by combining a few drops of Juniper Berry oil with water in a spray container. You may use this spray to disinfect and deodorize any surface, including a mattress, a vehicle, or the air. Oil extracted from juniper is a potent natural cleanser, making it an excellent essential oil for deodorizing and freshening a room.
- When to Diffuse it: Essential oils of bergamot and juniper berry combine to create an excellent diffuser combination. Use three drops of essential oil and four drops of Bergamot essential oil in a diffuser for a clean, refreshing fragrance. Diffusing juniper berry oil is recommended because of its capacity to purify the air and its relaxing, grounding effects.
Precautions Before Using Juniper Berry Essential Oil
Use caution with berries essential oil since it may irritate the skin and trigger allergic responses in some individuals. Before using berry oil on the skin, it’s best to dilute it with a carrier oil and do a patch test to make sure you aren’t allergic. You should talk to your doctor before taking the oil if you have any current medical issues.
Some Interesting Facts About Juniper Oil
There are several facts about Juniper Berry Oil that you must know. Some of them are mentioned below-
- The taste of gin is primarily derived from the juniper cones of a few juniper species, mainly Juniperus communis, which is widely used as a spice, especially in European cuisine.
- Few spices come from conifers, but juniper berries could be the exception.
- All juniper species produce juniper berries. However, some are too bitter to consume.
- Many species of juniper, not only Juniperus communis, have berries that may be eaten. These include Juniperus drupacea, Juniperus phoenicea, Juniperus deppeana, and Juniperus californica.
In conclusion, Juniper Essential Oil has several benefits and is often used in aromatherapy and personal care products. Some research suggests that this berries oil may aid digestion, reduce stress and anxiety, ease sleeplessness and respiratory problems, and even act as an antioxidant.
Essential oil from juniper should be used with care since it may cause skin irritation and even allergic reactions in some individuals. Before using juniper berry essential oil on the skin, it’s best to dilute it with carrier oil and do a patch test to make sure you aren’t allergic. This is a fantastic product that everyone should use.